Circus Rigger Job Description
|Contract:||Full Time – September 2021 to December 2021 with a new contract January to December 2022|
|Remuneration:||€28,000 per annum|
|Reporting to:||Managing Director, Creative Director|
|Location:||Limerick, Ireland, and on tour around Ireland|
Fidget Feet, Ireland’s National Aerial Dance Company, and Irish Aerial Creation Centre, Ireland’s National Home for Aerial Arts are jointly seeking an experienced circus rigger for an initial four months of work, with a view to renewing for a full year.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Irish Aerial Creation Centre
- Rig the IACC for all residencies, workshops, classes, and artists’ needs.
- Rig the IACC for show rehearsals
- Ensure the smooth running of all rigging related issues in the centre
- Devise and revise rigging plans for Fidget Feet shows
- Ensure a smooth rigging transition from rehearsals to venue
- Go on tour with Fidget Feet to rig all shows
- Installing and checking all performer and equipment rigging during rehearsals, tour and performances
- Rig and de-rig as required
- Be a counterweight performance rigger as required
- Regular inspections of the rig and equipment for safety / damage and organising repair and upkeep of all rigging materials as necessary
- Be part of the twice yearly PPE and LOLer checks for all equipment
- Keep stock of all rigging
- Be contact point for venues and festivals for touring
- Packing of kit
- Be part of crane shows
The successful candidate will have the following skills:
- Creative thinker, able to solve unique rigging problems
- At least three years’ experience in a similar circus rigging position
- Experience of working on touring shows, indoors and outdoors
- Experience with counterweighting on a ladder system
- Enthusiasm for our work, circus, and the arts
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Full valid driver’s licence with own transport
- An adequate understanding of legislation relevant to circus and performance, e.g. Working at Height, Manual Handling, Health and Safety Legislation
- Experience driving a large van with clean driving licence
- Qualification for driving a scissor lift
- Own rigging insurance
- IRATA, NRC, etc
- Experience with winches
- Experience in technical theatre – lighting and/or sound
- Climbing and harness skills
Type of contract: The contract is offered on an employed basis, full time, for an initial 4-month contract. Future contracts would depend on funding.
Remuneration: €28,000 per annum
Hours of work: Contract is for full time hours each week. Hours will vary depending on tours and rehearsals. IACC/Fidget Feet operate a time off in lieu system, there is no overtime.
Probation: A probation period of three months will apply from the start of the contract. Fidget Feet have worked with Bryan Donaldson from High Performance Rigging as our rigging consultant for 13 years. FF will continue to work with him and he will be part of the probation period, supplying any extra training required. Bryan will continue to be head rigger on all crane gigs and is responsible for the health and safety of the winches.
Place of work: The rigger will be based at IACC in Gillogue Office Park, Corbally, Limerick. The role will require travel nationally with Fidget Feet on tour.
Applicants are invited to submit:
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae outlining relevant experience.
- A letter of application indicating why you are interested in the role, including an indication of ability to relocate to Ireland if required.
Submissions: Applications should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: The closing date for applications is the 28th July 2021.
Interviews: Interviews will be held online in early August.
Confidentiality: IACC acknowledges applicants’ need for privacy and will take all necessary steps to ensure all applications and interviews are handled confidentially.
ABOUT THE COMPANIES:
The Irish Aerial Creation Centre (IACC) is a place for people to unlock their creativity. IACC is Ireland’s National Home for Aerial Arts founded in 2015 and home to Fidget Feet Aerial Dance Company, the founders.
Professional development is supported by the Irish Art Council’s Strategic Funding through residencies, classes, workshops and performance opportunities. IACC houses the first intensive professional programme for aerialists in the country and is a home for creativity in aerial circus on an international scale. IACC is also partners with Irish World Academy of Music and Dance, offering the only aerial dance courses to third level students in Ireland.
With funding from Limerick City and County Council the IACC is a unique way for individuals, communities and businesses, both local and national to discover talents they didn’t know they had and develop new skills and abilities they never thought they could achieve. Providing a centre of excellence for the creation and education of aerial circus.
IACC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Fidget Feet was founded by aerial dancer Chantal McCormick and musician Jym Daly. We are Ireland’s foremost aerial dance theatre company, telling our stories anywhere we can think of; in theatres, from cranes, hidden in forests, or swinging from buildings all over the world. Since 1998 Fidget Feet has performed across five continents and to hundreds of thousands of people in some of the biggest festivals and venues across the globe. Under the creative direction of Cultural Leader Chantal McCormick Fidget Feet has gone from strength to strength.
Since 2010 Fidget Feet have been running the Irish Aerial Dance Fest (IADF), one of Europe’s largest festivals for aerial dance. The festival caters to all levels, attracting professionals from all over the world to participate as both teachers and participants. The festival also showcases national and international circus work, and we hope to invite international promoters to view our shows.
In 2015 Fidget Feet opened the Irish Aerial Creation Centre (IACC) in Limerick. We are permanent resident company at the IACC and resident company at the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance at the University of Limerick. IACC has a successful capital grant from the Department of Culture, Heritage & the Gaeltacht and Limerick City and County Council, to renovate the current warehouse space, becoming the national home of aerial arts in Ireland.
You will thrive with us if you:
- Have a genuine passion for visual theatre and contemporary circus, and an active affinity with the work of the centre and Fidget Feet company.
- Can adapt to working in a small team, where the work needs to get done.
- Have the ability to work as an independently motivated self-starter.
- Possess a proactive, positive, ‘can do’ attitude – but tempered with realism.
- Take responsibility – enjoy the success, but have the ability to analyse and recognise where you can do better, so you can grow.
- Enjoy clear and transparent communication.
- Treat everyone, especially those with whom we disagree, with courtesy and respect.
- Have empathy for, and can create rapport with the physical artists to ensure they feel safe